OREGANO (Not just for cooking!)
Historically, Greek physicians used oregano essential oils for wounds, headaches, and venomous bites and even hemlock poisoning. It wasn’t long before its medicinal benefits were used to treat lung conditions, bronchitis, sinusitis, and cold symptoms including cough. The benefits of using oregano essential oil have captured the interest of modern-day researchers. Today, oregano essential oil has antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, and antiseptic properties. For external use, oregano essential oil is valued as a strong analgesic and antirheumatic agent.
As a general guideline, oil of oregano can be diluted 50% or more with a carrier oil (such as fractionated coconut oil)and applied directly to the affected area. It is a hot oil so dilution is recommended to prevent irritation. It can also be used more specifically, as in the following examples:
- Rub the diluted oil into the gums 1-2 times per day for infections.
- Apply oregano essential oil to warts, boils, or even fungal infections such as athlete’s foot. Saturate the area, bind with a clean bandage. allow the oil to sit overnight and then change the dressing. Continue until the infection is gone.
- Add several drops of oregano oil to liquid hand soap or body wash to expedite healing of wounds, abscesses, or skin infections.
- Apply diluted oregano essential oil into areas of diaper rash at each diaper change until the rash is gone. Make sure to use only a 1-2 drops per teaspoon of carrier oil to avoid irritation.
- Rub a drop of the oil underneath each nostril daily to relieve sinus problems. Inhale deeply each time to allow the vapors to travel through your sinuses.
- Oregano oil can also be used as an antiseptic for use in cleaning supplies. Try adding several drops of the diluted oil to a clean cotton cloth and wiping down kitchen surfaces to kill any harmful bacteria.
- Diffuse overnight to help reduce congestion or sinus problems.
- Gargle Diluted with water for sore throats.
- Can be used internally as a natural anti-biotic
There are several studies showing that Oregano my be effective in fighting bacteria:
How has Oregano Oil changed your life?